Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Shutting Shop

I had some business to do at J&M Plumbing today and walked in to a shop crowded with customers.  Not exactly the kind of store for window shoppers, I knew it would be a while before I was served. As each person approached the counter they knew exactly what they wanted and the owner handled their requests quickly and efficiently until there were only two of us left.

"I'll take that," the man with the skinny little voice said pointing to a kitchen faucet set attached to the wall.
"Do you want the tubing too?"  Mr. J or M asked.
"How much it going to cost me?
"$126.00."
"When the price go up?"
"Been $126.00 for a year now."
"Got one cheaper?"
"They all more than $100.00 except the one at the end."
"It work good."
"Not that good."
"But me ain't got that kind of money."
"Nothing good is cheap, and nothing cheap is good," said Mr. J or M.
The man nodded his head in agreement, then looked in his wallet trying to remember the magic trick that could turn a 50 dollar bill into a 100 dollar bill. "Me come back later," he finally said.
"No problem, mon.  Better waiting to get what you want, than not wanting what you getting."
The man nodded his head in agreement again, and returned his wallet to his pocket.  As I watched him leave the phone rang.
"J&M Plumbing," boomed the voice of this dime store philosopher.
"Only one more customer," he said, "then I'm shutting shop." 
"Going fishing?" I asked, handing him a key to copy.

Mr. J or M broke into a hearty laugh, with the broadest smile I've seen in a long time.  A Caribbean version of Santa Claus at his most merry. He was a happy man and his joy was infectious.  It made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment