Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Going up the road to come back...

Can someone please explain to me what "I'm going up the road to come back" actually means?  I've asked this same question of my coworkers who use the phrase at least 10 times a day, and they both laugh at me.  Am I being punked?

"Why would you go up the road to come back?" I ask. "Are you going to the store, to a meeting, to the beach? Where is up the road?"

"Connie, you're killing me," Diane answers.

"Me going up the road," Rudell adds and walks out the door. "Me come back."

Clearly there's a lot of coming and going at my office.


I met with the Minister of Youth, Sports, Technology, and Post yesterday in an attempt to bring focus to the larger picture of what I will be doing during my service here on St. Kitts.  Youth crime and violence is a major issue for Kittitians, not just gang crime and violence, which is prevalent, but also petty theft, fighting, graffiti, vandalism, the "testing of waters" offenses that can too often lead to crime as a vocation.  Did I just say that?  Liberal me?  Am I speaking in tongue? Does that mean I now think that smoking marijuana will lead to a heroin addiction? A beer to a daily fifth of Scotch and a lifetime of alcoholism?  Do I suddenly believe in the death penalty as a deterrent to murder?  Have I slipped the tenuous edges of politically correct sanity and become an advocate for reactionary judgment?  A supporter of the zero tolerance policy?

No. But I do think that in a country with an economy as challenged for sustainability as this one; where advanced education is not expected, especially for males; and where few resources are available for the many in need, that there is a substantial hole in the boat with little tether to anchor a promising future.  


Weaknesses in public systems can exacerbate problems for youth and lead to risky behavior and bad decisions. Young people need to be engaged and responsible. This is a universal truth.  I believe a youth court program will provide that opportunity and it is one of the reasons I would like to introduce and implement the program here on St. Kitts. Through direct participation in youth court, juveniles accept responsibility for their behavior and are held accountable  The program is envisioned as a partnership between Ministries, law enforcement, schools, businesses and community organizations.  The concept is to challenge the entire community to take an active role in solving juvenile crime. 


Participation in the youth court program, either as a volunteer or as a respondent, will not only interrupt a potential pattern of criminal behavior, enhance respect for the justice system and promote restorative justice, but will also educate, encourage volunteerism, develop good citizenship and empower youth. I believe it would be a valuable use of my time in service.


And so it goes.  Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. where ever you go you enrich and empower young lives. Half way across the world and sweeping changes ensue. I loved reading this and you are so funny please remember to go up the road and come back to us!!! xoxo ~debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. Any person can apply for naturalization and may be eligible for citizenship.

    st kitts citizenship program

    ReplyDelete