Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

De plane, De plane!

Friday is still my teaching day at Maurice Hillier and I'm enjoying getting to know the kids again after the long winter break.  Last week I planned a lesson on expository writing since the creative writing sessions of the past month hadn't turned out as I'd hoped.  I decided to tackle the "how to" of writing directions, a skill they will be tested on at the end of term, and an important skill in organizing thoughts for written expression.

First, we talked about the steps they need to consider when writing directions that explain how something works, how to make something, or how to get from one place to another.  Then I distributed a hand out on "how to make a paper airplane" for them to review, and gave each student a piece of paper to practice with.  A hands-on opportunity to experience what they would later be required to write about on their own.  Each and every one of them made great airplanes and couldn't wait to fly them outside as I'd promised.  The problem in the lesson came when I collected the cheat sheets and instructed them to write the "how to" directions in their composition books on their own.  Only 4 children in the class could successfully use words to explain what they had just done with their hands.

Needless to say, I had to repeat the "directions" lesson again this week; this time asking them to write directions on "how to make lemonade" with a promise that we would use the clearest directions to make lemonade the following week.  I also tried a different teaching approach by creating a list of 15 helping words from class suggestions which I wrote on the blackboard.  Students were told to copy the words in their composition books and organize them in the order they would appear in their step by step directions.  The only rule was that they had to use all 15 words. This extra organization helped them think through what they were writing before they started, and seemed to work.  At least everyone completed the assignment, and most everyone was still smiling at the end.

A few pictures of the kids with their paper airplanes:





1 comment:

  1. While doing a random search for creative images I stumbled upon the photos in this blog entry. It brought back wonderful memories and provided a sense of comfort in a time when comfort is threatened b violence and crime. I love my alma mater and am yet to find a way to show my appreciation. Simply put though, I am grateful for your contributions. Thank you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete