Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Absurdity continued...Value Added Tax


So I tried to withdraw some U.S. currency today in preparation for my trip to New York.

I had to go inside the bank since the ATM machines only distribute EC dollars.

Me:  “Can I get $200.00 U.S. please?”

Teller:  “You know there are bank charges to use this card?”

Me:  “What are the charges?”

Teller:  “2%.”

Me:  “Okay, that’s fine.”

Teller: “And I have to charge you 10% VAT.”

Me:  “You want to charge me VAT to withdraw money?”

Teller:  “Yes, you have to pay VAT on everything you purchase with a card.”

Me:  “ How about if I get EC dollars from the ATM and then bring them in here to exchange for U.S.?”

Teller:  “I still have to charge you VAT.”

Me:  “But I’m not buying anything, I’m just exchanging money.”

Teller: “It’s the same thing, you’re using EC to buy U.S.”

Me: “Really?

Teller: “Would you like to do the exchange?”

Me: “Is it April 1st?

Teller: “What?”  

Me:  “Never mind.”

And so it goes on October 9, 2012, still trying to process, on the Island of Ludicrous.


No comments:

Post a Comment