Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

So now what do I do? The Conundrum.



Just finished submitting a purchase order for pictures of each kid receiving their trophy with the Government Minister from their constituency and also a group shot for each recipient and each Minister.  Met with the film editor and completed editing for the final version of the television program featuring individual recipient interviews that we produced before the ceremony with plans to give a copy to each honoree when its ready.  Working on the agenda for the brainstorming workshop I promised to organize with the kids for late January or early February.  (Of course, the reality of the workshop taking place depends on delivery of the promised funding for the conference room, supplies and food, so the actualization of this happening remains a question mark.)  And finally,  I completed writing an article on the program for the Serious Ting Magazine which will go to print in January. So now what do I do besides fight the challenges of funding follow through from the Ministries of Youth and Finance?


The Director wants me to spearhead the program for next year - outreach starting again in February and the rest of it including organizing, marketing, interviews, selection, profiles etc. continuing through final presentation next fall.  But I'm thinking the department should take it from here.  If the program is to be sustainable, the Ministry and the Department need to find youth department staff to take the lead and to do the work that will make it happen, and I truly believe it is to their advantage to take that lead while I'm still here and available for consultation. Besides, I'm ready to take on a new challenge and would most like to use the next couple of months finishing up with the 2011 remarkable teens promises while exploring other project possibilities that I can put some passion behind for the remainder of my Peace Corps service here in St. Kitts.


One project I would love to look into is an island wide after school program focusing on kids at the middle school level (forms one and two).  I know the St. Kitts and Nevis White Paper on Education and Policy Development claims it wants to develop such a program, and I know there are many people in the Federation who would get on board if such an opportunity were introduced - that is an opportunity coupled with government funding and a promise to allow organizers to shortcut the red tape/bureaucracy kind of support.  


I have lots of ideas of on how to make this happen too, and the practical experience of having been part of a team that developed such a program in the United States; all the way from the empty speech bubble hovering overhead during a brainstorming session starting point, to the creation and implementation of a program that replicated in eight states by the time I moved on to new ideas and in other directions.  And I have the time and energy to get a pilot program off the ground while I'm here, if all of the other stuff comes together. 


Like everything else in life there are always a thousand ifs... if you let yourself get stuck in that bubble.


And so it goes on December 5, 2011, the 25th birthday of my beautiful daughter Maggie Catherine.  Happy birthday baby girl.  Mommy loves you, always and forever.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to help coordinate a federation wide after-school program. Now if we could just knew how to get the program funded and get me paid. Oh St. Kitts!

    ReplyDelete